Cannabis Laws & Regulations
Here is where we show you the most recent and relevant updates and advancements in California cannabis laws and regulations. We will always provide you the most accurate and up to date information as possible. We have provided the laws and regulations guide as an example of current California cannabis laws. Please visit the appropriate state websites to get further information. Visit the FAQ section for common questions and answers.
Is Pot Legal in California? (Common terms for Cannabis: Pot, Marijuana, Ganja, Mary Jane)
- Yes! All adults 21+ are able to purchase and consume (pot) cannabis while in California. You DO NOT need to be a California resident.
Adult Use 21+ (recreational)
– Basic Rules of Use and Purchase
- All adults age 21+ are allowed to purchase and possess up to 1 oz of cannabis flower and/or 8 grams of concentrate cannabis.
- Our most common question is, can we smoke on the tour? YES! You will have plenty of opportunity to enjoy and consume cannabis during your tour or event. Currently the vehicle code exempts for-hire vehicle passengers (limo, party bus, etc) from certain vehicle codes which includes vehicle codes pertaining to alcohol and cannabis. The current bill (signed in law September 2017) amends a couple critical vehicle codes regarding cannabis which according to the author of the bill Senator Jerry Hill, “This bill simply makes our laws on using marijuana while driving or riding in cars consistent with our laws on consuming alcohol while driving or riding in vehicles.” Note: If you are caught smoking marijuana in a “regular vehicle” the ticket is considered an infraction (similar to a parking ticket) with a $70 fine.
- Valid government issued ID is required to purchase from a licensed dispensary (out of state ID’s are accepted but passport is recommended).
- Adults 21+ can give up to 1 oz of cannabis to another adult 21+ for no compensation. However if anything is received in return, which includes money or other items of value a license would be required. (Exception: You are able to “trade” cannabis with another adult as long as there is no additional compensation)
- Smoking cannabis is ALLOWED “inside” private property only.
- Police are not allowed to use the “smell” of cannabis to search & seize you.
- Prop 64 does not supercede employer or property owner policies. (Employers can terminate employment and can get evicted from some rental properties, however more and more landlords and employers are wising up to cannabis and even many employer drug tests have removed cannabis from the panel)
- DO NOT smoke or consume cannabis while you are within 1000 feet of a school or park.
- DO NOT smoke or consume cannabis while operating any vehicle used for transportation (car, boat, motorcycle, RV etc).
- DO NOT smoke or consume cannabis while in a public area (ex: parks, stores, parking lots, restaurants, or even your front yard)
- DO NOT bring any cannabis products out of California. (This also means no bringing California cannabis into states in which its also legal. If authorities catch you bringing over any California border, it is a felony). Keep California cannabis in California.
- All recreational cannabis rules apply except you are allowed to purchase cannabis from dispensaries at 18+ years of age.
- A medical card is required for retail tax exemption
Laws and Regulation links
- Senate Bill 420
- Compassionate Use Act / Prop. 215
- Health and Safety Code
- Assembly Bill 243
- Assembly Bill 266
- Assembly Bill 643
- Adult Use of Marijuana Act / Proposition 64